In 2016, we have an historic opportunity to elect constitutional conservatives at all levels of government, from the White House to the State House to the Court House. We also have the opportunity to drive the debate on issues we care about. We cannot “try” to do these things. We must do them. We cannot falter or fail. Our freedoms and liberties depend it.
This year, MTC will hear from many candidates asking you for support. We will evaluate them wisely and carefully. We will also hear from many conservative grassroots groups like Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks asking us to partner with them. We will also evaluate them wisely and carefully. We recommend you do the same.
However, once we all are done examining the candidates and groups, we need to put our efforts into action in order to achieve success. Our efforts do not begin and end with just voting. Our votes will not be enough. Our action steps must include, among other things, the following:
- Making phone calls to targeted voters
- Knocking on doors of targeted voters
- Mailing letters or post cards to targeted voters
- Greeting voters at the polls with candidate lists
- Putting together and placing yard signs
- Talking to your friends, neighbors, coworkers, relatives, and others about conservative candidates and groups
- Writing letters to the editor on behalf of candidates or drawing attention to conservative issues
- Using email and social media to spread information about candidates and grassroots groups
- Making sure conservative-minded people are registered to vote
- Helping registered conservative voters obtain absentee ballots
- Making sure conservative voters have rides to the polls on Election Day
- Making financial contributions to candidates and/or grassroots groups
These are but a few of the things all of us – and each of us – must do in 2016. We cannot “try” to do them; we must DO them. Granted, everyone is not equipped to do each of these tasks. We extroverts are great at making calls and knocking on doors. For the introverts, maybe you can take the lead on doing mailers or posting on social media. Those who are retired or who stay at home during the day can give out literature at the polls and give voters rides to the polls on Election Day until those of us who work can leave the jobsite and assist. People like me with strong backs and weak minds can set out yard signs, while the great writers can flood local newspapers with letters to the editor. And all of us can chip in financially, whether it’s four pennies or four figures.
If all you’re planning on doing this year is voting, we thank you. However, we need more from you. Your children, your grandchildren, and the future of this country need more from you. James 1:22 admonishes us to be “doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” This applies to the conservative movement, especially this year. We cannot merely watch Fox News, listen to Rush, read the Drudge Report, hear the great speakers we have at the MTC monthly meetings, and deceive ourselves that we’re “doing something” about this country. We cannot merely try to win this year. Yoda is right. We can either do or do not. There is no “try.” We must DO. Join us. Now.